Post snowfall, power restored in entire Kashmir in just 6 hours

It was a strenuous effort by the officials of the power development department of Jammu and Kashmir that ensured restoration of electricity in entire Kashmir division in just six hours after the region witnessed heavy snowfall.
According to official data, the snowfall across the Kashmir region caused some glitches in the distribution system bringing the supply down from 1400 MW to 400 MW.
In comparison to previous snowfalls, the officials said, the early preparedness was the key in restoring the supply this time. “Our men started work from 4 am; it was because of their efforts that the whole system was up by the Saturday afternoon.”
Principal Secretary, Power Department, Rohit Kansal while commending the PDD employees said: “It is for the first time that our department was able to restore power supply within the shortest possible time of 6-hours. Our frontline workers despite all odds are working tirelessly; it was because of their efforts that around Saturday noon 90 percent of supply in the Kashmir division was restored.
“Another important aspect is the responsiveness of our department. We have set up a 24-hour helpline centre which helps consumers to convey their grievances and the department to redress it within a shorter span of time.”
Rohit Kansal said that on the directions of Lieutenant Governor of the Indian union territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the department has kept a buffer of electric transformers and “repairing of damaged transformers is done within 24-hours in urban areas and 48 hours in rural areas”.
Managing Director, Kashmir Power Development Corporation Limited (KPDCL), Ajaz Ahmad said “On the directions of LG, the KPDCL has ensured proper preparedness for winter months. Mostly after snowfall, it used to take two to three days to restore full power supply in Kashmir, but this time we had prepared ourselves. In autumn, KPDCL ensured pruning of trees, inspection of all lines and fusing of distribution transformers to minimize disruption of power during winter months.”
Dar said: “As we started the day only 30 percent of the power load was up in the morning leaving a power outage of 70 percent.”
A KPDCL official said: “As soon as the department pressed its men and machinery into action, power in most of the areas was restored by noon. The department achieved 60 to 75 percent restoration in the areas that were cut off.”
He said that there was no major damage reported in any infrastructure in the distribution network. “There are only a few places where few lines and poles were damaged in which restoration has been completed,” he said.
Advertisement